Thursday, August 4, 2011

How to Hem Jeans {the easy way}: Tutorial

 If you are like me, it can be hard almost impossible to find pants.
When I find a good pair of jeans, I have to get them... even if they are too long.
Being that I'm only 5 feet tall they usually are too long...
After a few years i got tired of paying someone else to hem my jeans.
So I learned to do it myself.
The difference between hemming jeans and other pants is that if you hem a pair of jeans you lose the classic jean hem that they all have at the bottom.  
But not when you do it this way!



Here we go!


What you need:
1.Jeans (ha duh)
2.Pins
3.Thread in a matching color to your jeans
4. Sewing Machine
5.something to cut the thread




1. First youll need to measure how much length you need off your jeans. I do this by folding them while they are on and pinning them.
2. Next I take them off and turn them inside out.  
3. Then MEASURE the length off so it is equal all the way around {this part is important unless you want your jeans to be all uneven lengths} :) You'll want to add an extra 1/2 inch to make up for the old hem you'll have showing at the end.
 4.  Re-pin

 

 
5.Take the folded flap and fold it down a little more than half of the length so that the old jean hem peaks over the edge of what would have been a new hem








{You Might want you try them back on at this point to make sure its a good length.}



6. Flip jeans back right side out and sew along the flap.  {The closer you get the less you can see it.}
7. Bravo! Put your jeans on and see how awesome they are!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey look at you all fancey blogger like these days! And nice camera too!

    I think I could handle this hem! Course, I dont typically have that issue.... but maybe Addison will...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! You would never even know....great job!

    ReplyDelete

background

Total Pageviews